Tuesday, July 19, 2011

All aboard the potty training express!!

POTTY TRAINING!! Two words that strike fear in the hearts of parents of preschoolers.  Being said parent of a preschooler I know the fear!  I said “He’s a boy.  His Dad can teach him.”, and as a Mother I knew that would not be the case.  We introduced the potty many, many months ago, but I was determined that I would not push.  That was until I saw the children start to move up to the next daycare class when they were potty trained.  Now, mind you most of these were girls and it seemed they were potty trained overnight.  I’m sure that was not the case, but for this mother of a little boy who could care less about potty training, it seemed to be.  My son is smart. He has always been ahead of the game. He can do this.  I just knew he would be the only 5 year old in Kindergarten not potty trained.  Yes, I get a bit dramatic when it comes to my children. 

As parents we are taught that when children are truly ready to potty train it will happen and probably happen quickly.  Well…..I guess all those parents that have gone before me were right!   IT HAPPENED!! Within a week my son was potty trained.  It was like a light switch turned on in his brain and he decided he could use the potty.  I mean really, no accidents all day long!!! It was nothing special that I did, it was all him!  Of course we still put a pull up on at bedtime (that is a bit much to expect of a three year old) but he will get up in the middle of the night to go potty.  I just think that is amazing!!! Yes, we use gummy bears and M&M’s for rewards and I’m OK with that for now.  I figure this is a small price to pay when you consider I don’t have to buy cases of diapers anymore!  He has already stopped asking for them every time he uses the potty. Occasionally he will remember he needs a gummy bear.  He does offer them to his Mom and Dad every time we use the potty.  Such a sweet child!!

I know there will be many challenges I face with my son and daughter that will make potty training look like a day at the park.  Right now however, it feels like we have conquered the world.  So I guess I am trying to teach as I was taught by many before me.  Take it from me, IT WILL HAPPEN WHEN THEY ARE READY.  Let’s see if I can remember this lesson in a couple of years when my daughter is ready to POTTY TRAIN!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment